Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Project Vulcania - Revealed

"...there is hope for the future. When the world is ready for a new and better life, all this will someday come to pass, in God's good time." Captain Nemo




I put the finishing touches on Project: Vulcania this afternoon and can now officially reveal it!



Based upon Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, I give you Captain Nemo's Submarine - The Nautilus! The film, of course, is based upon Jules Verne's novel. My project's title, Vulcania, came from Nemo's secret island base.



The build took an estimated 10 hours spread across four days and involved seven printed sheets. To build the model I used scissors, an x-acto knife, Elmer's glue, a scoring tool and ruler. During the build I discovered that two sections were not glued correctly and ended up replacing them. One final error remains, but at this point I'm not going to worry too much about it. I also utilized a themed stand designed specifically for the Nautilus.

The template, instructions and stand all came from www.thedisneyexperience.com, which in addition to several other papercraft projects, also offers several free desktop backgrounds, user images, icons, fonts, and projects - all with a Disney theme.

I've built some other papercrafts from this site, but they, as well as most of my papercrafts, are at work. I'll try to remember to bring a camera to work and post pictures of those as well.



No comments: