Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day #10: Your favorite song

I could not pick out a single song. Tough, get over it.

Actually, these are my favorite songs at the moment. I did pare these down from a larger list of about 20 songs and pieces of score. Maybe after I'm done I should do a song a day and explain why I like it.

No such luck today, though.

I grew up outside of a small town, and have seen things change. Even in the few years I've lived in my current town, I've seen a lot change just up and down the main street in town. There's something about small town life, and "Our Town" from Cars nails it on the head.



I didn't expect to like Meet the Robinsons. The ads seemed repetitive (I've got the caffeine patch), but I came out of a special preview moved almost to tears. I think "Little Wonders" by Rob Thomas had something to do with that.



Sorry, I don't mean to be so goopy and emotional. A big part of the reason I like these songs is that they register with me on a level I didn't anticipate. Jessie's sorrow over losing her best friend Emily echoed my sadness in realizing my childhood was far behind me (and Toy Story 3 reminded me of it that much more). Sara Mclachlin's "When She Loved Me" from Toy Story 2 again just hits that emotional spot.



Okay, enough for the mopey songs. I think Disney came back in a big way with Enchanted, and the broadway sensibilities of Alan Menken were perfect for this film. I struggled between So Close, Happy Working Song, and That's How You Know, and decided to go with the blockbuster. This song just feeds on itself and gets bigger and grander.



And let's try one that's not set in the 2000's, eh? The Jungle Book has always been one of my favorite Disney movies, and while "Wanna Be Like You" is much zanier, I prefer the laid back and mellow "Bear Necessities."



But even with this list, I've left out a lot of other favorites: Friend Like Me, Kiss the Girl, What's This, Why Should I Worry, Strangers Like Me, etc., not to mention theme park favorites like The Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room and Pirates of the Caribbean.


Honorable Mention:

Check out this shot by shot remake of A Goofy Movie's "After Today."

No comments: