Friday, December 15, 2006

Travel tips

Just started packing my suitcase last night. I'm heading up to Idaho to spend some time with my family, and I just realized, I haven't seen snow since 2002! Living in the sonoran desert can do that to you I guess. But as I packed my bags, I got to thinking about some of the recent changes by the TSA regarding carry on items.

* Always verify baggage limits with your carrier. Some airlines allow only 2 checked bags, some allow 3. Be aware that if you go over the free limit, excess fees will come into play, and you pay those fees one way - if you're still heavy, oversize, or have too many bags on your return flight, you'll have to pay again.
* Your airline may allow 1 carry on and 1 personal item, but the aircraft may not be able to handle it. Many smaller commuter jets, like the Canadair Regional Jet have limited carry on space. Larger carry on bags may have to be placed beneath the seat, or gate checked.
* Beverages are not permitted through security. Drinks purchased after you've been though security may be taken onboard.
* When it comes to toiletries in your carry-on bag, remember 3-1-1...items weighing no more that 3 oz in a 1 quart bag, 1 per passenger. These items should be kept at the top of your luggage, just in case the TSA agents need to take a closer look at your bag. Of course, there's no limit on the amount of these items that can be placed in checked luggage.
* And always during the holidays, remember to give yourself at least 2 hours to checkin for your flight. Checkin and security lines will be long. In fact, if you check in too late, while you may still have 45 minutes left before departure, if the lines are too long, you may be denied boarding.

Happy flying and have a Merry Christmas!

No comments: